[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Scott gap

Hi Bob,

   The only potential problem with drilling is the possibility of the
drill 'walking' while the hole is being drilled. This can happen even if
you use a drill press and rigidly position the workpiece if the diameter
of the drill is too small relative to the depth of the hole being
drilled. I.E. a 1/4" drill going through 4" of material can easily flex
.100" (or more) from one end of the hole to the other. Use the largest
diameter drill that you can and retract the drill frequently from the
hole to vacuum away the dust.

              Safe coiling & machining,

              Phil Heslin

> Original Poster: "bob golding" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>         Just looked at the "Scott gap" Most impressive. This will get rid of
> the problem of arcing at the ends which I have had trouble with in the past.
> I was thinking how to make the slots with only a power drill and hacksaw
> when it occurred to me that if you put the top and bottom pieces together in
> a vice you could drill down between the two and get a reasonably accurate
> guide to place the tubes in. I will try this myself unless anyone can see
> any  problems I haven't thought of.
>
> cheers
> bob golding

    -snip-