[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: That secondary behaviour, E-Tesla5, and Corum's thing...

Hi Ken,

	I did it!!  I guess I was just really lucky, but I grabbed a single sine
input pulse and the resulting output from a scope probe connected directly
to the top of the coil.

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Ken05.gif

A close up:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Ken06.gif

I also ran MicroSim for a transmission line model of the same effect:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Ken07.gif

If the output signal starts 1/4 wave after the input signal, looks like we
have a transmission line as shown in Ken07.  if it starts sometime earlier
as in Ken03, we have a lumped system.

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Ken09.gif

Shows a close up of my test along with simulations of a transmission line
and lumped model.  The output waveform is obviously starting far before the
90 degree point.  However, it is not quite in the lumped part either but it
is difficult to see exactly.  I also worry about the scope probes loading
effects.  I can get a 2.5/100Meg  100X probe from work Monday that should
help.  The resonance of the coil was retuned for the probe being in place
and all that.  It dropped from 350kHz to 214kHz suggesting the capacitance
went from 9.36pF up to 25.0pF.  The probe is supposed to be a 16.6pF/10M so
that works out but the wire to the probe probably messes with stuff too.

Of course, it still gets worse :-))

I ran MicroSim models with the probe inserted.

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Ken10.gif

Yep!  The probe makes the lumped model later and the T-line model sooner
making it difficult to tell them apart experimentally. The probe impedance
is almost making this experiment impossible ;-(

The models are at:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Probe.gif
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/test.sch

I may be able to reattenuate my plane antennas to get a better signal.
They don't load the secondary in any way but I'll have to be sure I don't
mess up their bandwidth in the process.  This may be a key lumped vs.
T-line experiment if we can get the details worked out.

So Ken,  Are you nuts yet! :-))  Perhaps the "slow" refers to how long it
takes for this stuff to drive one insane! ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry

snip...