[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Needle Glow Discharge/ Malcolm comments on Corum

> Ed,
> Forget the air discharge(let a TC be PULSE operated in
> vacuum conditions ).Every real coil has some finite Q
> regardless of spark breakout  due to ohmic resistance
> of secondary wire(-superconductive extremes excluded
> here).And still a typical "spark unloaded" secondary
> Qs belong to  range 100-500 which is too small to
> prevent a considerable energy loss from bang to bang
> of primary cap bank.Thus,FOR typical break rates of
> 100-300 and Fr=100khz ,secondary voltage cannot be
> much higher than that one in simple single pulse mode
> losseless test...unless you haven't enormously high
> break rate 10000 BPS or more which again isn't case
> for "normal" TC operation.Some Corums statements are
> very weird as concerns low of conservation of energy.
>
> Regards,
> Boris

Boris:

	Not quite sure what you mean here.  The energy transferred from primary
to secondary on any one spark will be completely dissipated by the time
of the next one.  As for the effect of secondary Q, it will be
negligible for the first few cycles of the secondary oscillation.
Typical Q's in my experience are about 300, while the Q as estimated by
observing the decrement of the discharge-loaded secondary waveform are
of the order of 30 or less.  The loading due to the discharge is
dominant.

Ed