[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bang the rocks together harder lumpophiles

Hi Bob,

	I have been looking over your test idea and had a few questions.

I can set up the aluminum foil on a concrete floor easily enough but I
assume I should slit it so as not to have the eddy current / shorted turn
effects.  I figure the ground point can be in the center.  I want to keep
the coil vertical to represent a real Tesla coil case.

I have a <1 ohm output generator but it is 1 volt at 20mA so driving a coil
directly over currents it.  It is active output so there is no real output
impedance as a normal generator would have (a marvel of science).  Your
isolator should take care of this perfectly!  I can put a 50 ohm resistor
on its output and then a 1 ohm resistor to ground.  That will only give a
10mV signal to the coil but that should be enough.  The coil would have to
pump 1 amp through the resistor to mess with the generator which would be 1
watt which is not possible, so all should be well.  Does that sound ok?

One big problem is measuring the output voltage.  With the self capacitance
of the coil in the 9.5pF range.  Dropping a 16.6pF 10:1 Tektronix probe on
the open load end would cause terrible loading and distortion.  I think the
one at work is 2.5pF at 100M ohm (tek P6109) but that my still mess with
the measurements.  I also worry that the wire to the probe will pass right
through the self capacitance fields at the top of the coil but they may not
be a big deal.  Any thoughts on how to measure the top voltage without
disturbing the thing would be appreciated.

Your square wave test where one observes the returning square wave edges
should me much fun!

Cheers,

	Terry

snip...>