[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: a few questions

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Jason R. Johnson" <hvjjohnson13-at-xoommail-dot-com>
>
> 1. Can you run 60 hertz into a 400hz variac?

The practical answer for Tesla coiling is NO. In reality, you CAN run a
400 Hz variac off 60 Hz, but you must lower the input voltage so much
that it's no longer very useful. For example, a 400 hertz variac must be
derated by the ratio of frequencies, or by 60/400 (15%) of its faceplate
voltage rating. So, a 0-120 volt 400 hertz variac could only be run off
about 18 volts AC at 60 hertz.

> 2. How much capacitance at what voltage does it take to
> crush pop cans and quarters?

Lots... :^)
About 500-1000 joules at several kv min. to see very much can crushing
action, and about 3-4000 joules for coin crushing. Check out the Quarter
Shrinking section of my site for more details.

> 3. If one placed a laser tube on the topload of a tc would
> it laze?

Don't know - but most small gas lasers (HeNe's) are meant to operate off
DC, so I suspect the amnswer is no...

> Jason Johnson
<SNIP>

-- Bert --