[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid state spark length record?

Hi Gary, All,

I would expect you have very interesting design, one that would be of great
interest to us folks here. I have yet to try a solid state CW Tesla Coil,
as Pulsed Tube coils are a bit easier to build. I think photos are in
order!  I think John Freau has produced some of the longest "pulsed" CW
sparks (at least that I know of) at around 38" from several 833A tubes and
5-7KVA power. Even at only two pulses per second, the power must be great.
But it is still a strong belief of mine that pulsing a very well designed
(ie, impedance matched -spark to coil) CW coil, one may come close to a
"Damped" wave design in spark efficiency (well close may be relative ;>)).

Hmm, perhaps you would get even better spark length if you could increase
the output to 15-25 PPS? The sparks will have the previous ion trail to
"assist" with length.

Please let us know how you did this amazing feat!

Regards,

David Trimmell