[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Research directions

In a message dated 4/17/00 3:21:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hello.
>
>  Yes, constant bang size is the desired feature I built my SMPS for. And
bang
>  rate vs. spark length is definitely one of the things I plan to measure.
>
>  It remains still open how to ensure constant quench time.

Hi  Marco,

Does it really matter if the mechanical dwell time is constant?  I would
think it would not.  I would expect all the energy to ring down, and the
gap to be quenched while the electrodes of the gap are still aligned
at any rotary speed in most cases.  The quench should occur when
the energy is "gone" or mostly gone from a bang.  The only possible
problem I see is that at low bang-rates, since your power supply can
recharge so quickly, the gap may refire while the electrodes are still
aligned.  This might happen only at very low bang rates through.

Contrary to popular opinion, rotaries generally don't quench by stretching
out the spark and breaking it.  The rotary determines when the gap fires,
but not when it quenches.  At least this is what I've seen in my systems.

Cheers,
John Freau