[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: big plasma ball

HI Paul,
               I'm guessing that DC Cox and other professional HV firms
would know more about this than I do but having repaired a 3'
diameter ball, I learnt a few things that may be of interest to you:

> Original Poster: "Paul Mathus" <pmathus-at-learningco-dot-com>
>
>      Folks,
>
>      I've been thinking about designs for a BIG plasma ball, maybe 8'-9' in
>      diameter.  I was thinking of making a geodesic sphere from pvc or
>      steel pipe, and cauking on clear plastic sheeting, or perhaps screwing
>      on clear plexi plates and sealing with weather stripping.  It would be
>      a bit leaky, but I imagine you could hold gas long enough for a show.

I think strength would be a major factor as the internal gas pressure
has to be very low. Anything other than a spherical shape might be
a challenge for a ball that size.

>      You would then fill with argon or your gas of choice, pumping in more
>      as needed to replace loss while you astounded the masses.  This is a
>      possible Burning Man installation I've been tossing around for my 6"
>      coil.
>
>      I was wondering what the best geometry for placing a coil in this
>      contraption would be.  If the primary was inside you would risk
>      primary strikes from the increased spark length, no?

Yes.

  If the primary
>      was outside, the sphere would interfere with coupling, wouldn't it?

No.

>      Also, does anybody have any guesses/experience on the spark length and
>      other effects you get from running a coil in an gas mixture?  Would it
>      look similar to the typical gift store plasma ball?

The insulation which works at normal atmospheric pressure would
be *gone*. However, the voltages at which these things work is
nowhere near typical TC voltages. What I found was needed for the
ball I fixed (it ran CW from an inverter) was a lot of power. The
shunt capacitance it presented to the power supply was very high.
You would have to take this into account when considering the use
of a TC. In fact, you'd really need to know the range of values under
different streamer conditions before you even started designing a
TC to run it.

Regards,
Malcolm