[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3 phase resonators

Hi Thor,
             My reading of your results suggests the following
explanation:
      In effect, what you are doing is changing the coupling between
the resonators by changing the phasing. You might also view this as
a change in distance between resonant elements (such as on a TV
aerial).  With some phasings, the coils will be mutually aiding and
with others, the coils will be mutually opposing. That amounts to an
effective change in their inductances.

That's my first order response FWIW.
Regards,
Malcolm

On 17 Apr 00, at 17:16, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: gbyrd-at-aros-dot-net
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have been experimenting recently with 3 phase resonators, and thought I
> would share the information with this group. I've been selling a few solid
> state coils on ebay, and thought I should do some more experiments with 3
> phase while I have the resonators and drivers. I first used this controller
> on 6 coils in 1992.
>
> This is a photo of the typical set-up:
>
> http://www.aros-dot-net/~gbyrd/tesla/3ps.jpg
>
> This is a photo of the 6 phase generator:
>
> http://www.aros-dot-net/~gbyrd/tesla/3pc.jpg
>
> I have not produced any really outstanding results with my experiments, but
> there have been a few surprises, which usually leads to more understanding
> of Tesla coils. The first surprise was a change in the resonant frequency
> of a system just by the phase change of the driving signals alone (no
> physical change in the resonator). As an example, with a particular 3 phase
> sytstem set for a rotary phase (3 coils and each 120 electrical degrees
> apart), the frequency was 82 kHz. With just a change of phase drive to all
> coils getting the same phase, the resonant frequency jumps to 102 kHz. No
> physical change in the system. By the way, the resonant frequency of a
> single coil (with an equivalent top load), is 91 kHz.
<snip>