[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 7200 V too low?

> Original Poster: "ross andrews" <sflourine-at-home-dot-com>
>
> > Original Poster: Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com
> >
> > The problem you face is the 7200V transformer will want to pull several
> > hundred amps from your wall plug just from the DC resistance of the
coil, so
> > you will have to current limit it, and that will lower your final output
> > voltage anyway.
>
> I thought resistave ballast decreased voltage, where inductive ballast
> doesn't change it at all (minus the "kick" thing, which spikes it).  Am
> I mistaken?
>
> thanks
> Ross

Hi Ross,

You are quite right! In fact the primary voltage can go to the roof if the
spark gap allowes it. The supply transformer together with the inductive
ballast and main cap is also a resonant circuit. When you have a "matched
cap" it means that the resonance frequency is the same as the local line
frequency and you can adjust the spark gap to get a larger voltage. I have
no practical experience with this phenomenon, but I can imagine it takes
time for the voltage to grow above the normal transformer output. The result
would be less bangs per second, but larger sparks (maybe somebody with
experience with this can support me?).

Ruud.