[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fw: Exploding Glassmikes

Hello all,

    Ok, there was a message a while back on the list about these types of
capacitors exploding... seems its true. I just had a 0.001 MFD 20KV cap
expload. The device was paralleled with two other caps, and after about 5
seconds of tc operation it let go a BAM and left little fragments of glass in
the bottem of my enclosure, as well as a nice roll of dialectric and foil.
Final word: these caps do not seem well suited for TC use.... So has anyone
made these work? I had the caps right across the power supply, with the spark
gap and primary in parallel with them, is it better to do it the other way? is
there a way to heat-shink them or something so they don't over-current? I would
really like to be able to use them. I also have 5 of this kind of cap for sale,
they are about 2.25 inches long and 0.75 inches in diameter. They are rated at
0.1 MFD at 10KV. I think I will sell them all for $40 OBO, email me off list if
you are interested (but once again - not for TC use....)

    Thankyou for any help.

Troy Peterson,
<mailto:troypete-at-sunwave-dot-net>troypete-at-sunwave-dot-net