[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC Characteristics Q's

Hello to everyone,

        I joined this list about a month ago in hopes of learning as much as
I can and contribute when I can.  Tesla's work is still somewhat of a
mystery to me.  The more I read, the more questions I have.  My background
involves 14 years in the computer information systems arena.  Not much to go
on when it comes to electrical engineering or the theories involved.  So, I
am teaching myself and reading.  Eventually, I hope to construct my own TCs
when I am confident enough that I will not fry myself or my home.  Well,
enough about me.
        My questions involve the conditions around and inside the different
components of a Tesla Coil itself.  I understand there is ionization of the
air immediately around the top capacitance whether it's a sphere or a
toroid.  Is this true?  Can anyone explain?  (anything to do with the skin
effect and electron bombardment of oxygen molecules?)
        Also, I was interested in finding out if there are magnetic fields
inside of the top capacitance or inside the coils themselves (rail guns?).
I saw a photo of a huge demonstration TC where a man was actually inside of
the sphere while it was operating.  Could this be true also?

Thank you for all the knowledge being shared and thanks for any help and
patience in advance,
Jay