From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 10:14 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: What IS special about a Tesla coil?

Original Poster: "tesla" <tesla-at-cyberverse-dot-com>

<SNIP>
Noah, If terry and Bob would digress, and let me, a fellow lurker attempt to
answer this question, (even though I am NO Nikola Tesla, I feel somewhat
qualified to answer THIS question.) :)

I believe that Tesla might be dismissive of the Tesla group, period. Oh yes.
he *might* find some inner fascination with a bunch of guys trying to better
his genius at building coils, but Tesla's personality was to not look back.
I think  that making the tesla coil was mostly a means to an end for him.
(Yes, I do remember that he did find lightning fascinating.) However, in
today's world, I suspect that he would find everything changed enough to go
into a whole new line of research.

Gene

> Dear Terry and Bob,
> Following your e-conversations is a great educational experience for a
novice
> coiler, but it's like sneaking into a lecture on tensor calculus when
you've
> only just completed algebra one! I want to assure you that I, at least one
of
> your gallant fellow coilers here on the list, am not an electrical (nor
any
> other) engineer - and if I did have  a functional Tek scope at this stage
of my
> coiling - oh, coiling were Paradise enow! (Pardon my inexcusable literary
> allusion - it's my poor defense against the swarming masses of you-all
> engineering geniuses). But a central and pivotal question jumped out at me
in
> the most recent cited interchange; I think Bob asks: "WHAT IS SPECIAL
ABOUT A
> TESLA COIL?"  Yes!  Isn't that what all coiling is about, after you get
through
> the cow manure, the horse manure, and the rabbit tracks through it?
[Credit for
> that colorful reference to an old desert rat (who died several years later
[snippers!]