[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacity Value Transformation

Hello Coilers:

While reading a text on A.C. motors I came across an interesting circuit
that might have application in Tesla coil power supplies.  The value of
a capacitor can be increased by the use of a transformer, as in this
example.  A transformer with a primary/secondary voltage ratio of 1:2
has a 20 uF. capacitor connected across its secondary.  This causes an
apparent capacity equal to the ratio squared times the capacitor value,
in this case 80 uF., to be across the primary.

I'm wondering if by using a relatively low KVA rated 1:2 ratio transformer
one could achieve power factor correction with relatively small values of
PFC capacitors.  This would be particularly useful for larger coils that
require capacitors in the hundreds of micro-farads for PFC.  The primary
of the "capacitor transformer" would simply be paralleled with the MOT or
pole pig primary.  One cap of 40 uF., a readily obtainable value in oil
filled motor run caps, would yield an apparent capacity of 160 uF. in the
power transformer primary circuit.

At present I do not have the facilities to check this idea out in actual
practice, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who does try it.
Thoughts, criticism, and other comments are of course welcome.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca