[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotaty popping, (Was Re: commercial cap failure)

In a message dated 4/22/00 10:23:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I would think that I would be able to input more
>  current, (and get longer sparks), using the high range socket. This is what
>  happens when a Jacobs ladder is connected.  I figured the same would happen
>  with my coil connected. It doesn't. My coil has best output on low range.

Jon,

This is because you're using resonant charging, or close to it.  When
you use the low current setting of the welder, this provides more
inductance, which happens to be the amount needed to "cancel" the
tank capacitance, and this permits the most current to be drawn into
the TC.

I've noticed that some coilers have excellent results using welders,
whereas others have better results with variacs as current limiters.
Two thoughts here;   1) the welders which allow for an infinitely
adjustable inductance may provide better control than a welder
which has a selectable inductance (with no steps between the
selections).    2) anyone who has excellent results using a welder
with selectable inductances, may have lucked out with the cap size
vs. available selectable inductance values perhaps?

The variac has the advantage of providing for an infinitely adjustable
inductance value (as compared with the selectable or stepped type
of welder).  Some folks have had problems with saturation
in the variac.  This would depend on the number of turns in use and
the voltage being dropped across those turns, etc.  Some folks like
to cut the variac core to create a slot, etc.  I've never had good results
adding resistive ballast to my TC's.  The addition of a resistance tended
to reduce the performance but did not make the coil run smoother.

Cheers,
John Freau