[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bang the rocks together harder lumpophiles

Hi Bob,

It's very strange to me too! :-))  But it appears to be very real...  See
the chart below:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/Efield.gif

The blue line represents the E-field in the upward direction.  The read
line represents the E-field along the side of the coil in the X-Y
direction.  Note that the field is negative for the first ~1/3 of the
coil's length.  The bottom of the coil is actually appearing as a lower
potential point due to the surrounding fields and energy is actually being
absorbed by that section.  In effect, the bottom of the secondary is
absorbing electrostatic energy as the coil charges.  I guess that would be
the definition of a negative capacitance??

You can also see the effect in the fields chart.

Cheers,

	Terry