[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

GEHEISLR cup homepage and GE coil modus operandi...

 Reply to "Re: GM Coil Record":

> It's either running them as true tesla coils or my skill that makes
them put out such big sparks (I > prefer thinking it is skill ;-)).  I
would guess you were blowing out the primaries.  My primary cap > was
only 1.7uF at 1600 volts and well matched to transfer energy in the
system.  If there is no
> good output spark, that energy can only go into the coil were I
imagine it would do harm.  I cut a > few of the failed ones open and
the primaries are typically poorly made and easy to short.

 I must disagree somewhat here, Terry. As you may remember I was
conducting high power research with an SCR-based ignition coil driver:
5000Watts for a twin coil system (312V at 18A input, coils ran at
6000Hz). The tank capacitor was something in the order of 4uF and it
was pulsed into the coils trough an SCR as fast as the 18Amperes
charging current would allow. Despite that, I have never had a primary
fail (oil cooled coils with a straight (non saturable) core: The oil
would BOIL within 20 - 30 seconds in both coils). I don't have my notes
with me, but if memory serves me well the primary winding is AWG 28…
There is no way you can blow that much wire of that thickness with a
conventional power source. I think the reason why Ed's coil died was
because they arced to the core.

 Now on the Homepage:

> WOW!  That's great!  This can be a common place for people's efforts
at trying to take the
> GMHEICSLR cup away from me (as futile as that may be ;-))).

 We'll see about that :) Just you wait until I put this new design idea
of mine to work… BTW, I already have a GM HEI coil… Muhahahahaha!!!
Fear what is to come!…

> Yes!  This can definitely be the official home page.  Many thanks for
your efforts in putting it all > together!

 GREAT! Thank you for the honor of hosting this. The GMHEICSLR Cup's
Official homepage will now be http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/gmheicslr.htm :)
I will be sure to make all the necessary additions tonight. And thank
you for the idea and content.

> BTW - There is a secret I forgot to mention (at least recently)...
The coil gives a longer spark in > one polarity than the other.
Negative voltages tend to arc much better than positive ones.  The > GM
coil's ring up tends to have a single maximum high peak and you want to
be sure it is
> negative or your spark will be shorter.  Just reverse the primary
leads at low power and it will be > obvious which connection is best.

 I remember this… If memory serves me well Jim Lux posted the idea here
when you were conducting your research… I will post it on the page. Can
you think of anything else that needs to be posted? BTW, I just noticed
that the pics are too small for reading, I will double their size on
tonight's update.

 Now a few questions for you and the list…

 Grounding: Did you actually ground your GM coil or did you spark from
the HV wire to its ground wire?
 Specs: Anyone have detailed specs on their design? Stuff like
primary/secondary inductance, intended input voltage/energy, intended
output V, etc… It would be useful.
 Any other comments to the page? Your input is what makes it better…

=====
Sam Barros,
sambarros-at-yahoo-dot-com
ICQ#:15156975
!!! Check my homepage at http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/ !!!
 "The Less You Know, The Better You Sleep"...
 "Evolution Stops When Stupidity Is No Longer Fatal"
 "If At First You Don't Suceed, Increase The Amperage"