[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Transco Rock Hard Resin

Over a years ago I had a Transco neon short out.  It is filled with
something that looks like epoxy or polyester resin that is rock hard.
It looked like it would be hopeless to try and unpot it so I pushed
it up under the work bench.  Today I put it in a 75 Tons press at
work and smashed it.  The first push made almost no damage and
only a crack in the resin.  I rotated it 90 degrees and pushed again
and it cracked one more time.  I rotated it 90 degrees each time and
pushed again and it cracked 1 or 2 times on each push up to about
the 15th push.  Then it started to break up.  The case finally smashed
a little and the neon fell out.  All the resin fell off and I could see the
laminations were bent and smashed beyond repair.   This is not a
good plan, don't try it.  I trashed a neon that was already dead.

Gary Weaver