[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Formula for self C of a Coil (not Medhurst)

Medhurst is an empirical formula determined by a tabular fit to measured
data, and as such, is entirely composed of fiddle factors.

I note that if you try to analytically calculate the capacitance of a
cylinder above a ground plane, you get results very similar to Medhurst.
There are several ways to look at the integration problem, for instance,
consider it as concentric cylinders where the space between the cylinders
varies as a linear function of distance along the cylinder. However, the
integration gets real evil real fast.  Numerical methods will come up with
results similar to Medhurst.

The field around a cylinder is sufficiently different from that of a sphere
that a discrepancy between the two isn't surprising.  For instance, if the
cylinder is long and skinny (a sort of limiting case), the field drops off
as 1/log(r) (I think) as you move away.  The field drops off as 1/r for a
sphere.

Check the archives.. there was some discussion about this about 2 years
ago.