[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

GM HEI coil types

Hey list,
 I have some info that may be of use to those of you that are experimenting
with GM high energy ignition coils. There are two types of in-cap HEI coils,
ones with red and white primary wires, and ones with red and yellow primary
wires. I do not know what the difference is, but there is an electrical
difference. Maybe someone can track down one of each and perform some tests.
 Starting in 1985, some GM vehicles used an HEI system with an external coil.
These coils are probably not well suited for TC use because the iron core is
encased in the plastic and would be difficult to remove, but they may have
superior electrical charecteristics. Ford EEC-IV ignition systems (1984-95) use
an external coil with an easily removable core. These have a nice HV tower
connector, but require a special primary connector (if you're at the bone-yard,
clip it off the car and take it along). I personally destroyed one of these by
driving it with a 555 timer and a pair of 2N3055s, although it lasted pretty
long.
 The automotive aftermarket has many high performance replacements for both the
GM and Ford coils. Most manufacturers claim to have low inductance, high
temperature, larger guage windings. Prices range from under $40 to nearly $100,
with most being in the $40-$50 range.

Have fun,
Jon Lagler
taking a break from coiling in PA, USA