[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Should I use a 4" or a 6" secondary?

At 11:36 AM 4/25/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>
>In a message dated 4/25/00 1:08:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:

[snip]

>The sparks should not be more than 2.5 times the secondary length,
>so for a 114" spark, figure a 46" secondary coil.

Hi John,
Why is that the sparks should not be more than 2.5 times the secondary length?
Is this a rule-of-thumb for good output based on your spark-length formula?
(spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt input power (watts)) Or is it just a good
Tesla-coil-electrical-design parameter? Or is it something I'm completely
clueless about. (Most likely the correct assumption ;)
Just curious,
Dan