[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: SRSG,RSG, shtuff...

I think it will be difficult to build a rotary gap with your power supply
transformer as low as 4kV.  The gaps will have to be extremely close at
presentation to fire reliably.  This will be particularly troublesome if you
choose to use such a large LTR cap, as a large cap will further reduce the
firing voltage.

You mentioned using a 4"-5" disk.  I don't see a need to go that small.  If
you are making a low power RSG, the electrodes may be made smaller and
lighter than "normal" because they won't get as hot, so you can simply use a
thin (1/16" thick) 6" diameter G10 disk with two pairs of brass acorn nuts
for rotating electrodes.  Such a disk assembly will be light enough that any
very small motor will be able to spin it up.  There is no need for an
additional air blast with a rotary.

Do not attempt non-sync operation with an NST (I've not attempted this but
the List consensus is clear on this point). The only damage you might do to
your NST with a sync gap is if the cap voltage is not high enough to fire
the gap at every gap presentation.  This would cause the cap voltage to
climb even higher, and this risks the NST.  The same problem can also happen
if the motor phase is badly set.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA