[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Easter coiling pictures

Barton, all:

There are 3 gear segments, not just _one_ plate! They pivot around the
center of the motor, and are ultimately separated 120 degrees apart.
Each carries one static electrode of the SRSG. (semi static, really,
since they can be rotated + - 30 degrees each with a gear motor.)^~"In
real time"~^(tratteraaa!) :->   Now, with the motor being a 3000 RPM
sync modified unit, and the rotor being a transverse bar of tufnol, with
electrodes at each end, the gap will be able to fire at 300 BPS, with
the current supplied from the tap point of the primary inductor, to the
center of the rotor, via a center gap set really close. This way I hope
to acheive low gap losses due to just one gap, really. From the center
gap, flat strap conducts the current out to the flying electrodes at the
end of the rotor.

Experience with my "Millennium Lace" gap has shown that it is desirable
to space the gaps unevenly around time, but this timing is not the same
at low power as at high power. So in order to quickly tune the coil to
equal bangsize at any power level, the electrodes really need to be
moveable while the coil is running: set the power level, then adjust to
equal bangsize for that special cleen sound! I pay much more attention
to the appearance and sound of my coil, than efficiency (which in the
extreme cases appear to me as "The EE`s burdon")   :->   and since this
coil is only being designed to 60" streamers, it doesn`t matter, really.
2kW or 3 kW, who cares! (perhaps I should add, that if the last kilowatt
actually melts something, then of course even *I* care)

Check out:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm
For a brief report about 300 BPS timing.

I had to mount the primary coil on the underside of the supports to get
the whole thing to "add up", so that I can also tap the coil in real
time. The inner turn connection is taken out above the coil, along one
of the supports, the tap point is taken into the center gap, where the
attachment to the transformer is also made, but this connection is taken
out over the primary coil, to prevent interference with the tapping
arrangement, which rotates right below the primary, driven by another
gear motor.. The secondary groundpoint is also taken out over the
primary coil, as are the hydraulic tubes, which supply oil to the
cylinder that guides, supports and moves the secondary coil.

If this sounds mind boggling, dont feel bad, it has taken me 3 months to
design this coil, and only today did I finalize the last details about
the tapping point.

The primary coil is built out of 3 parallel tin-bronze foils. 2, 1.5"
wide, with a 3/4" wide one inbetween, the latter sitting up , so that a
crossection of them all form a shallow, inverted "U". The tapping point
is then an inserted foil, much like the inserted foil in a capacitor,
only this one is moveable, to enable tuning the coil in real time.

   Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

            **                                *         *
          **                                  *         *
        **      Primary horiz.supports              *         *
       *                                      * Vertical*
       *      ********************************* supports*
       *      *  |||    |||    |||     |||    *         *
       *      *  |||    |||    |||     |||    *         *
       *      *  |||    |||    |||     |||    *         *
       *      *  | |    | |    | |     | |    *         *
       *      *  | |    | |    | |     | |    *         *
***************  | |    | |    | |     | |    *         *
***************                               *         *
 ^                      ^                     *         *
Sec. Baseplate         Trible foil primary    *         *

I have great expectations about this coil, because I want to make
breakout on foreign objects, and retuning by trial and error doesn`t
appeal to me.

Cheers, Finn Hammer