[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Depotting Tips

give a few tips.  After depotting several transformers, I believe that I
have come up with a very good method.  It is as follows:

	#1) Heat up the transformer _outside_ using some type of heating element.
I use the following setup:  Take two other NSTs, same height, and place then
a small width apart.  Get two metal rods and lay them from one NST to the
other, forming a "rack".  set the NST to be depotted across the rack, with
the heating element on top of it.  What I use is an old space heater, with
the heating "wire" criscrossed back and forth in a metal shield.  I took it
apart, and then you can just set the wires on top of the elevated NST, still
in the metal housing. Then you can just put a paper plate, or OLD dish
underneath, to catch the molten tar.

	#2) Turn on the heater and let it sit for a few hours.  I suggest turning
on a large fan to the 'low' setting.  Sometimes the tar smokes, or the paint
of the NST burns off, emitting smoke, etc.

	#3) After the remainder of the tar has melted and oozed out, I take the
NST, still hot, and take out the core, etc.  Put it on another plate, it
will be hot.  Then, immediately after, take a pointed object and remove as
much of the tar as possible from all of the cracks and crevasses.  I find it
is especially useful to remove the tar between the coil windings and the
core, as that will facilitate taking it apart for repair.

	#4) After you have gotten off as much tar as possible, put it in a bucket
of kerosene.  It will most likely steam, but the heat held in the
transformer will help to remove the rest of the tar.  The transformer will
then be fairly clean in about 24 hours.  You can then take it out, use an
old tooth brush to scrub at it, and then wipe it down with an old rag.
Rinse, and repeat.

Also, for your information, I have found that franceformers are the easiest
to depot and repair!

I hope that helps,

-Andy Cleary