[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unpotting...Mutant tar

Hey all,
About i week ago i tried to un pot a 15k 60ma transformer and it
took about 6 hours. I figure i did it the most easy way
possible. What i did was use a double burner and an old cookie
sheet and put the transformer and placed it on the cookie sheet
and turned the double burrner on med high and left it for about
6 hours till it was molten then i poured it into a metal pan for
later repotting. Then I took and heated a metal 5gal bucket and
filled it with gas that was sitting out in the sun (with the
vent open of course) and while the little bit of tar in the
transformer was still molten i placed it in the bucket of gas
and used an old paint mixer (yoou know the ones that sit on top
of the bucket and have the big mixer that rotates in a circle)
and left it for about 2 hours and all but a little bit of the
tar was gone which i removed with tar remmover.
This is about the easiest way ive seen next to getting a new
transformer.Hope this helps someone.

Brad Shelton