[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: SRSG,RSG, shtuff...

>Original Poster: "Finn Hammer" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>
>
>> Original Poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>>
>> Do not attempt non-sync operation with an NST (I've not attempted this
but
>> the List consensus is clear on this point). The only damage you might do
>> your NST with a sync gap is if the cap voltage is not high enough to fire
>> the gap at every gap presentation.  This would cause the cap voltage to
>> climb even higher, and this risks the NST.  The same problem can also
happen
>> if the motor phase is badly set.
>

>But wouldn`t this problem be solved by the safety gaps firing?
>
>Cheers, Finn Hammer

Agreed, _properly_ set safety gaps would prevent cap/NST damage if the RSG
missed firings, but:
1) Who among us would bet their Maxwell's that their safety IS set
correctly?
2) A system where the safety gap fires constantly is simply a bad design and
is useless.  I suspect the most common reaction would be to open up the
safety gap!

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA