[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A figure of merit

Marco & Luc have good points re a better figure to use.  But it would
need to be decided as to what properly constitutes "merit".  Part of
"merit", I think, is how far removed one can contrive to get from
becoming inadvertently fried.  That's why I chose primary volts: my 160 V
DC is a whole lot more comfortable to be around than others' 10,000 V, 60
(or 50) Hz AC.  But it is more logical of course, from the purely
mechanistic standpoint, to use ampere-turns, ampere-turns being the
determinant of the magnetic flux that is generated, which is all that the
secondary "sees".

Seems to me we might want a figure a) directly proportional to spark
length (of course), b) inversely proportional to primary ampere-turns and
c) inversely proportional to primary voltage.  That is, longer spark =
good; more primary ampere-turns = bad; higher primary voltage = bad.

For any given quantity of primary turns, the amperes will be proportional
to the volts.  Thus an equation that would satisfy the criteria would be
M (for "merit") = L {in mm}/(V {primary volts} x N {# of primary turns}).

For my present coil, I come up with--surprise!--the same 3.8.

Over...

Ken Herrick
responding to:
> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
> Original Poster: "Luc" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
> snipped<
> Herrick's original msg:
> >A while back Gary Johnson asked for reports on solid-state spark
>> length; and I responded with a proposal for a figure of merit or
"quality"
> >measure for Tesla coils: spark length to a grounded point per primary
> >volt--for all builders, solid state and "spark".  I proposed
millimeters
> >per volt just to make the number less depressing (25.4 mm are in
> each and every inch!).

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.