[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Should I use a 4" or a 6" secondary?

In a message dated 4/26/00 4:29:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  [snip]
>
>  >The sparks should not be more than 2.5 times the secondary length,
>  >so for a 114" spark, figure a 46" secondary coil.
>
>  Hi John,
>  Why is that the sparks should not be more than 2.5 times the secondary
> length?
>  Is this a rule-of-thumb for good output based on your spark-length formula?
>  (spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt input power (watts)) Or is it just a good
>  Tesla-coil-electrical-design parameter? Or is it something I'm completely
>  clueless about. (Most likely the correct assumption ;)
>  Just curious,
>  Dan

Dan,

As I stated in my original posting, the 2.5 figure is for 120 bps operation,
if the coil is running at a higher bps, the figure can be higher than 2.5,
and can approach 4.  It's just a rule of thumb to prevent flashover of
the secondary.  I learned this the hard way... by experience.

Cheers,
John Freau