[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Salt Water

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Aan: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Verzonden: donderdag 27 april 2000 0:24
Onderwerp: Salt Water

> Original Poster: "Daniele Bortoluzzi" <dbortoluzzi-at-sogeda.it>
>
> Hi all again :)
>
> I am near to wind my first coil... one of the part I want to build now is
> the tank capacitor.
> I already know the MMC is the best, but I do not know if I will find the
> money required for it.
> So I was thinking about salt water...  I would like to build a modular
> capacitor to use with my different transformers.
> 5Kv/50mA , 8Kv/20mA , 12Kv/50mA... I have others, so I do not want to bore
> with too much detail.
> For the capacitor matching I use wintesla.
> Now my question is where can I find "complete" documentation about salt
> water caps, and what you think about it.
> At the moment what I need is a working coil  :) so I need to build a
> capacitor quick to do too.
> Can or should I start with a smaller cap than the exact matched?
>
> Tnx again
> Daniele

Hi Daniele,

If you really want to do the works on salt water caps, by all means, but a
simple 'bucket cap' is much better and is also for free. Use something like
used mayonaise or likewise 10 liter containers. They are made from
Polypropyleen and are 1.3mm thick. Search the archives for 'bucket cap'.

There is one advantage in using salt water caps: they have a natural
resistance against current flow and therefore protect you from killing the
tranformer (or you).

I should definitely NOT start with a matched cap! You don't need it for a
running TC and when it is working you can always improve. (Not to mention
the filter and safety cap that will absolutely be necessary with a matched
cap if you don't want to fry the transformer)

Greetings from Holland,

Ruud de Graaf.