[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: G10 (cutting a disk)

Original Poster: sdate-at-gte-dot-net

> Dr. Resonance, anyone....
>
> What "special abrasive blade" is required to cut G-10??
>
> I just received a sheet from McMaster-Carr (1/2"X12"x24") and don't
> want to waste too many bandsaw blades.  Called McM-C and they called
> the mfgr who said to use carbide drills, etc.... but no info on how
> to cut it.
>
> Thanx for any ideas,
>
> Steve - Seattle

Best suggestion, find a friend that has access to an NC milling
machine. It uses a carbide end mill under computer control.

This is close to the method I used to cut my 10" disk. At work we
have a small NC table that's designed for milling prototype
circuit boards. The maximum thickness it can handle is about an
eighth of an inch. I bought several sheets of 12" x 12" x 1/8" G-10
from McM-C. I then used AutoCAD 14 to lay out a 10 inch disk with
eight holes, evenly spaced, one inch in from the edge. I also had
the machine engrave a 3/4" high number (1 thru 8) next to each hole.
I milled 3 such disks and bolted them together to form a 3/8 inch
thick disk. (It would have been no trouble to do another disk to give
me 1/2 inch :) I then laied out a 10" disk with a 6" inside diameter
and used the same machine to cut it out of a 12" x 12" x .062"
sheet of copper (also from McM-C)

While I was at it I milled out a bunch of Copper washers out or the
left over copper to be used as electrodes something like what Terry
has on his SRSG. I put the ring on the front of the disk and on 1.5"
brass cap screws stacked 4 sets of 2 half inch followed by a 1.250"
copper washers and topped it off with a brass acorn nut. I mounted
the assembly on a 1/3 HP, 3600 RPM motor (Modified for sync
operation)

I hate ASCII art, but the electrodes look like this...

     DDDR
     iiii  W  W  W  W
     sssn  W  W  W  W
     kkkgWWWWWWWWWWWWWAA
     DDDRWWWWWWWWWWWWWAA
     iiii  W  W  W  W
     sssn  W  W  W  W
     kkkg
     DDD
     iii
     sss
     kkk
     DDD
     iii
     sss
     kkk
     DDD
     iii
     sss
     kkk
ShaftShaftShaft
ShaftShaftShaft
(Bottom half is mirror image of top)

It turned out suprisingly well for a first attempt.
Now to figure out a way to mount and enclose it.

(I gotta get this on a website somewhere :)

Later!
Paul