[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better Gap Worth Effort

HELLO,

  I think static gaps are crape.  Tah take to long to cleen and it do not
quench to good. A rsq or a air blast gap works much better then a static
gap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  kid-kv

 P.S I made a air gap with a fan and brass serws and it works much better then
the static gap i had. The static gap took to long to cleen. My coil has
bottle caps and a air gap. With the fan i get 12" eze with out the fan i get
4" to 7" sparks. does that give the id.?

>> That brings me to the
>>  following question: does anybody on this list knows the shortest quench
> time
>>  achieved with static gaps?
>>
>>  Ruud.
>
> Ruud,
>
> Terry, and others (myself included) have achieved first notch quench
> using multiple static gaps, but it doesn't help the spark output.
> Instead it's better to use fewer gaps, and let the quench-time be
> as it may.  This is because low gap losses are more important than
> a fast quenching in general.  Of course the quench must be good enough
> so you don't get power arcs.
>
> Cheers,
> John Freau

Regards