[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: G10 (cutting a disk)

Steve, all!

One thing is getting reasonable mileage on your tooling in a continous
production setup, another thing is to make just one rotary disk. In a
production environment, less than diamond tooling will be inefficient,
in a hobby environment far less will do.

What you need is an electric jigsaw, the one with disposable blades. Get
the best blade that is available: the ones that are ground on the sides,
as well as on the teeth. One blade like this will last to cut the
perimeter of at least one disc. Then throw it away, and cut happily in
wood, plastic and metal with the other ones, assuming that you buy 2 or
more.

Ordinary twist drills will do quite nicely, and last for very many
holes, you may want to grind the 0 degrees rake angle as you would do
for tufnol, and crisp brass. High speed steel twist drills will not show
any noticeable wear after completing just one disc.

A belt grinder is a very usefull tool to own as a coiler, and G10 is
excellently ground. Use grit 60 -120 for fast cutting action.

If you have a router, this is where the carbide tipped tools are
essential, a HSS tool would not last for very long with a router,
whereas a carbide tipped tool, although taxed by the abrasive nature of
the G10, will have reasonable mileage.

These are my observations from cutting a lot of G10/FR4. I use G10/FR4
for everything that has to be strong, and I try to gring as much as
possible of the shape on the belt grinder, after roughing it with the
jugsaw. Drilling it is trivial, but only the most intricate/accurate
parts make me take the router off the shelf and into action.

Cheers, Finn Hammer