[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Method of measuring self C of secondary

Hi Bob,

At 01:45 AM 04/27/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Terry and all,   (combined reply)
>
>It hard to keep with Terry's prodigious output.  Thanks for the measurement
>and mods to T5 or is it T6 with an option of voltage weighted  self (vwsC or
>medC) or  self C (true or LC bridge C).  Does it  now output the self C
>(true)
>along the coil if so can I have a copy.  Should very useful.   How about a
>output for mathcad.  Does it now produce self C (true) of the topload. You
>should set the primary V to 0v because you dont know the phase relative to
>the secondary so zero will give the least error.

E-Tesla5 can be modified for many different situations.  I sort of
"kludged" the program to get these recent results so it's probably not
ready for prime time.  I just set the primary height to zero which
effectively removes it from the calculation (lays it on the ground plane).
The 1000 Hz or "true" capacitance of the coil is simply the trivial case of
setting the voltages all to 1.  I'll modify a version and send it to you.

>The measured self C (true) confirms a fiddle factor in Medhurst but Medhurst
>may be for an isolated coil.  In which case  the difference between Medhurst
>and self C (true) will be dependent on the separation from the ground plane.
>Does anybody know what Medhurst assumes and if he assumes a ground
>plain what was the separation.

I know he assumes a ground plane.  I forget about the separation.  I posted
the scans of his paper (all 8Mbytes of them) at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/other_papers/medhurst/

Starts on page 35 then jumps to page 80 plus some letters followups...

Perhaps these scans could be put into a much smaller *.pdf file ???

>The self C (true) or better the equation is required  for simulation and
>maths models.
>
>The use of a voltage weighted C in a lumped resonance calculation or any
>calculation is totally new to me. As is the concept of a current weighted L.

It gets back to the electrostatics and gauss's law.  If you place a give
charge on an object it will create E-Fields around the object.  If you then
chop the objects up, each part will have it's own capacitance.  In the case
of resonating secondaries, the voltage distribution from a given charge
varies wildly along the coil and drags the E-fields with it.  That current
weighted L stuff is still a frontier ;-))

>The secondary can be shorted across the ends during C measurements to
>decrease L to 1/4 and hence reduce errors.

Good idea!

Cheers,

	Terry