[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark length, bps, power, new formulas

In a message dated 4/29/00 2:52:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> The program's basic spark length equation is:
>
>     Spark inches = A * sq rt(input watts)
>
>  This equation is then modified by a variable "A" that is dependent on the
>  primary voltage, the secondary inductance, and whether the power
transformer
>  is a neon or a pole type transformer. These variables are the ones that
have
>  the greatest effect on the spark length in addition to the input watts.
>  Using the JHCTES Ver 3.1 program it will now be possible for coilers to
>  design a specific  classical Tesla coil and verify how accurate the
>  program's spark length represents the real world.
>
>  John H. Couture

John

Welcome back to the list.  I'm sure your new program will be greatly
appreciated by coilers.  You did not mention break-rate as a variable
in your equation.  I have found the break-rate to be a very important
variable for calc'ing TC output.  The break rate probably makes more
difference than the primary voltage in most coils.  I'm glad you
included data for free air streamers in your new program, coilers will
find that very useful.

Cheers,
John