[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum spark gap

Hi Al,
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you require a gas present to ionize and
form a
conducting channel. If you have a vacuum, then there are no gases present,
so how
does it conduct? The only other way as far as I can see it, is for the metal
particles from the electrodes forming the conducting channel. If this is
the case,
then a real high voltage is required before it will brake down. In this
case there
will be x-ray emissions.
Unless I have got the wrong end of the coil, I mean we are talking about the
primary circuit, or do you mean a spark gap of of the secondary coil. If it
is the
latter you may end up with a little particle accelerator and some radiation
when
the few particles in the vacuum pick up high velocities and strike the
electrodes;
major x-rays!

Regards,

Gavin, U.K.