Re: space winding

snip

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Richard Barton" <richardbarton-at-caving5.freeserve.co.uk>
>
> Hi
>         Before painting or spraying varnish onto tape, do a test-piece first.
> Some of these combinations dissolve into a gooey mess (As I've discovered
> in other activities.... fortunately NOT when winding coils).
>                                                 Richard Barton.
> this is true, that is why i use duct tape layed on the form upside down, with
> about an 1/8" overlap. i tried my moto finish on the glue and it coated very
> nicely. the only drawback is that whene the coil is finished you'll see a
> slight bulge at every laped joint, not large but if you look closely it is
> there.

>  but...what does one do about the >joint< that makes the loop of
> fishing line or the like endless?  That joint will be a lump of some kind
> and that lump will periodically progress along until it's interfering
> with the lay of the wire.  Who's got a solution to that?

i just tried a piece of 80# test fishing line connected with clear box tape, if
anyone has experienced clear box tap knows that once stuck is stuck, i
rolled the
two ends together butted, into the tape and cut it after one lap. took a bit of
pull to separate it. and it had a smooth joint that was flexible. i tried duct
tape also but the line pulled out of the adhesive fairly easy.
i have just bought my former for my large coil, 22" by 88",  i am starting to
think that i might space wind this one? not real sure yet?