Re: I'm looking for a source to buy used/surplus induction motors (surplus in LA,CA)

The only problem with C&H is their cost.  They are typically somewhat more
expensive for a given item than a true surplus kind of place (mostly to pay
for someone sorting through the stuff and making the catalog).  Mind you, a
significant fraction of my income over the years has gone through C&H's
cash register. C&H's pricing strategy, as near as I can figure, is 10% of
new price. The $700 Maxwell cap will be $75 or so at C&H.

In the Los Angeles area, you might also try Apex Electronics (in Sun
Valley). They are more "junkyard" oriented (less sorting, no catalog) and
might be cheaper. They also have more surplus test gear and things of that
nature.  OTOH, they also rent a lot of their junk to studios for use on
set, so stuff that should be dirt cheap (old panels with lots of lights and
switches) isn't for sale, or is wretchedly expensive.  A good source for
wire of all sorts though, sold essentially at the copper cost. And a very
good source for circular MS (military style) connectors.  Lots of
selection, very reasonably priced (compared to new catalog stuff, that is..
Apex is typically 1/6 - 1/4 the catalog price)

Another place is Factor's Surplus on Burbank Bl, in Burbank. Definitely got
motors, bolts, screws, nuts and hardware in all sizes shapes and materials
(Surely you need titanium bolts for that RSG?) I've bought many copper and
brass bolts at Factors.  Also a good place for hydraulic fittings and the
like.  Not so hot for electrical stuff (other than some motors).
Cognoscenti will know you've been to Factors because you'll have your
hardware in plastic bread bags.

There must be some place that has gears and stuff, but I haven't found it
yet...