What about this *Unique* Spark gap design??

I've been thinking of someof the problems that I keep running into when trying
to adjust my air cooled static spark gap.

The voltage required to start a spark, is much higher than that needed to
maintain a spark.

A wider gap provides better performance at the cost of needing more voltage to
start the spark. NST's burn out and caps can get fried if this gap is too wide.

If the current output of a NST isn't high enough, it can take longer to charge
up the caps up to the voltage needed to jump the gap and sometimes results in
tesla output that looks "Unsteady" as the cap charge time becomes long enough
to be noticeable.

In other words, if I make the gap narrower, the output is diminished, but if I
make it too wide, I get spotty output.

---

It seems to me that a rotating flat piece of metal between the gap, might yield
good results IF the gap or rotating metal is adjusted so that the metal piece
will narrow the gap to a point that a spark can be started, and as the flat
piece of metal rotates, the gap is widened to allow maximum distance between
the electrodes but not so wide that the NST or caps are fried.

I imagine that there would be an optimum rotational speed that might be found
by varying the speed of the motor.

I wonder of anyone has tried this kind of spark gap.

It might work great, or might stink, hard for me to say unless I try it.