Re: Attaching HDPE

>Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>
>I am about to construct my primary.
>Many see to use HDPE for the supports and I would agree.
>However, let's say you have a 1/2 inch thick by 2 inch tall strip (times 6
>or 8)
>how do you attach that strip to your wood primary platform?
>Metal screws from beneath?
>Epoxy? (does it stick?)
>Silicon sealant?
>Open to suggestions all (y'all)
>
>Ted R.

Project SAM uses absolutly NO metal in the Primary Form.
And as I understand it gluing HDPE (or in our case UHMW ) is impossible.

The Table is made from .5" UHMW in a 24"dia circle. Drilled on a CNC
Vertical Mill for the .25" holes with 2 holes for each upright. There are 8
uprights made from .5" UHMW held to the Table with 1/4-20 bolts made from
Nylon.

If you look on the web you can get the bolts REALLY cheap :) Just be
carefull when torqueing them down, they are brittle and the heads will snap
off is you do it too tightly. Get extra :)
We have never had a failure of any kind with the existing bolts and the coil
has suffered severe abuse for months of demos.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org