Re: Wire Gauge Chart and File Formats

Terry, and all

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
>         I constantly use a wonderful old ARRL wire gauge chart for
determining
> turns-per-inch and other wire gauge related things.  I scanned the chart
> for all and posted it at:
>
> http://1071737050/site/misc/WireGaugeChart.jpg
>
> You probably won't find double silk covered wire anymore. :-))

There are plenty of small rolls of some sort of thread-covered wire in
the physics
shop....  so much "interesting" stuff in there.

> It is 700+K because I wanted to keep the resolution nice...

Little known fact:  you will get a smaller file using a BMP than a JPG
when using
a B&W image.  For a monochrome image, use GIF or TIFF (with
compression).

Using a monochrome picture I have ("motor_1.gif"), I saved it as a
monochrome BMP,
GIF, TIFF using LZW compression, and 256 color JPG at 25% with
progressive
encoding.  The results are:
    BMP:  759k
    GIF:  41k
    JPG:  200k
    TIFF:  38.8k

I think the results should speak for themselves.

> This is a dynamic URL to my old 486 laptop here on my desk...  If too slow,
> try again later.

I still have a working (I think) 8088 sitting in the corner of the
basement....  I
wonder if I could run a Web site off that..... ;-)

Mark B.