Re: space winding

In a message dated 8/8/00 3:44:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Malcolm, John F,
>
>  Well, I guess the verdict is in, then. Both of you
>  have pretty much answered with almost identical comments
>  about the "proximity effect" of minimal spacing of windings. I
>  am a little confused though, as my present largest coil system,
>  "Medusa" has a close-wound sec coil and its performance, to
>  me at least, is outstanding.

David,

As Malcolm stated, Q's over 100 won't really make a noticeable
difference.  A close wound coil will generally have a Q of much
more than 100, so a close wound coil will still give excellent results.

>  I'm not good at the technical aspects of coiling, I'm just going by what
>  I have seen. And I'll admit that max efficiency has not been a top priority
>  in my coil designs, just to get the biggest sparks that I possibly could
>  by hook or crook. I'll bet there's a few other coilers like that. too.

You're getting nice performance from your coil.  And yes, getting the
longest sparks is a popular goal.

Cheers,
John Freau