RE: SRSG motor modification

I'd second the suggestion to use a larger capacitors, but you need to be
careful not to go too far.  If you make the capacitor too big, you can end
up with the phase in the secondary winding nearer 180 degrees out of phase
rather than the 90 degrees intended.  I found that with a 20uF capacitor
(rather than the 4uF original) my motor ran raggedly at 1500 rather than
3000 rpm!

If you motor is close to but not quite locking it should be making a whining
sound with a 0.5s - 3s period (as it gets near to lock and then slips).

Kind of like,   wwwwwWWWWW.....wwwwwWWWW......wwwwWWWW....  :-)

If that's the case, then it might be worth trying to get an lock using a
variac to boost the initial voltage.  I found only an extra 30V was required
to get my 1/4HP motor to lock with a 6"disc, and after lock I could reduce
the voltage back to 240V.  It's also worth trying for a lock without your
disc attached.  If it won't lock with no disc then it's never going work
when you add the extra drag of a rotor plus flying electrodes.

Regards,

Colin.

P.S. A number of the images on your website seem to be zero length files and
I wasn't able to load the picture of your motor.