Re: SRSG motor modification

In a message dated 8/9/00 6:24:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Yes I was pondering the same thought about the wwwwWWWWWwwwwww noise (as you
>  so aptly described).  That noise occurs only if I load the motor quite a
bit
>  by holding my hand around the spindle. (Very dangerous as the electrodes
are
>  1/2 inch from my fingers and at that rpm ......).

Garth,

Maybe your sync gap *is* locked, and maybe the neon bulb is just
not showing the locked condition that well?  Do you actually see
a rotating pattern?  It's helpful sometimes to put the motor on a
variac, and gradually raise the voltage.  When the voltage is too
low, you will hear the motor "hunting".  This sound will go away
and things will become very steady sounding when the motor
locks.  As the motor tries to lock, you will see the pattern "jump"
by 90 degree jumps as it tries to lock.

Just a thought.

John Freau