Re: Avalon

>Original poster: Megavolt121-at-aol-dot-com
>
>Hi Chris, all
>
><< Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
><snip>
> > This entire building will be remodeled as a dedicated use, strictly HV
> > experimentation and research. What types of things should we be thinking
> >about in the early phases of design? If you could make your dream Tesla
> > workshop, what would you have? Electrical service? Would it be
>preferable
> > have a 14.4KV feed direct inside the building? (There is a pad
>transformer
> > RIGHT next to it with a 14.4KV primary.) My thoughts are to bring it in
>at
> > LV (480VAC) to make switching and voltage regulation easier in the power
> > supply. Can you imagine a 15KV variac?.....ARGH!
>
>Running H.V. down close to the ground = unsafe operation. Of course i'm
>sure
>that it won't be to code either.
>
> > My thoughts are that, with the flat roof, a telascopic roof would be
> > feasible. With overlapping sections about 5' each riding on rails
>similar
> > a gantry crane, they could be either pneumatic or cable controled.
>
>What kind of building is this?

Big, concrete/steel, and Glass. Originally built as a coal-fired power
plant, converted to gas years ago, abandond 5 years ago.

If its a tiltup building, than you CAN'T cut
>holes in the roof.

OK, I doubt it's a tiltup building, please define.

The roof of the tilt up building is what keeps the walls
>from falling. (well the only holes i've seen in a tiltup wall were caused
>by
>an earthquake.. and the building did almost collapse after that.

Well, over the boilers (there are 3) are some of the largest air-handlers
I've ever seen. When we remove them (we'll keep only 1) there will be some
LARGE holes in the roof. The top floor is completely concrete and only 12 or
so feet bleow the roof itself. The roof could easily be removed and the
cncrete floor become the new "roof"

> > Give me ideas guys, this is an oppertunity to make the dream Tesla
>research
> >facility. The Avalon coil isn't the only thing I want to do. This is to
>be a
> > hands-on (though well supervised) Tesla research, experimentation, and
> > education facility built in the spirit of The Geek Group. But I want to
>do
> >it right and there are a LOT of people out here on this list with IQ's
>that
> > make me look like a carrot, ideas?
>
>how bout a machine/wood shop?

Yes, that's a given. V-mill,H-mill, large (and a few small) lathes, drill
press, bench grinder, MIG,TIG,Plasma Cutter, Tubing bender, assorted hand
tools, etc....