Re: construction materials

In a message dated 8/14/00 7:19:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I'm rounding up parts for my next coil, which will utilize a sync rotary
gap.

>  As for the rotary, I've seen some really 'different' materials used. I was
>  wondering where one might purchase g-10, or bakelite. I'd like to use G-10
>  for my disk, and bakelite for my motor mounts. Has anyone ever tried using
>  hardwood for the stand?

Michael,

I'm using oak for the base for my small sync gap in my TT-42 TC.
I used normal phenolic for the rotor.  Sometimes it's better to
physically go to visit a plastics distributor than to call them, if there's
one nearby.  I bought a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of 3/8" lexan scrap
for $10.  Tungsten is best, but for my small coil, I used steel
spinning electrodes (bolts), and copper for the fixed electrodes.
I prefer copper to brass, but brass is OK too.

Cheers,
John Freau