Re: The big bad Mark III

Hey guys,

For those interested, I've pasted an old post from D.C. Cox below. It explains
why he builds his coils to particular ratio's. (It is a reply to Reinhard
regarding a hypothesis Reinhard had about pi and h/d ratios).

Bart
(Sure miss those guys)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>  Seems to be some controversy here..... I've heard lots of people say 4:1
>  (6*4 = 24)
>
>  Regards,
>  Troy Peterson [VE7SOK]
>  troypete-at-sunwave-dot-net
>  highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com
>   >>
> My 6.0" diameter secondary uses # 22 wire with a winding length of 27.6" for
> a ratio of about 4.5 : 1.  It makes 104" sparks and works very well.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Here's the post from D.C. Cox (Dr. Resonance):

"""While it is true that pi seems to be the optimum value for efficient energy
transfer and potential production, this value falls short of good design
criteria when the flashover potential of the secondary is considered.  With
modern design parameters producing arc discharges of 2-3X the sec coil length,
this pi value ratio, if used, will only produce headaches and burned sec
coils.  We have long ago standardized our commercial units to a value of 4.5:1
and 5:1 which seems to be the optimum blend for both potential generation and
flashover protection.  Consider 4.5:1 for all small to medium coils and 5:1 for
units running over 10 kva and you will produce powerful discharges with minimum
flashover problems.  We have used these design parameters in units producing
spark lengths up to 76 ft without additional problems.  Our "Big Bruiser" which
was displayed at our fall open house last year uses a 5:1 ratio."""