Re: Kapton = Ozone, UV resistant?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
> In a new static gap I'm working on, the PVC housing will be in close (~1.5")
> proximity to the spark gap.  I know that the PVC will turn brown in time
> near a spark gap, perhaps increasing the likelihood of surface arcing.  I'm
> wondering if an application of  Kapton (polyimide) tape would shield the PVC
> from whatever causes this deterioration.  Is Kapton more UV-resistant than
> PVC?
>
> Thanks, Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA

Hi Gary...

UV is a major cause of PVC failure in gap applications and I've also found that
the heat developed by the gap in near proximity of the PVC is another major
concern to deal with ...

I've tried the kapton tape approach already even tried kevlar too ( kevlar
conducts and melts near a gap)

the kapton only lengthens the life of PVC by maybe 50% ( but then again my gap
was only 1.5" max from the PVC ...   .75" min )

Scot D