Ballasting Primer (was: Help Me Prepare for a BIG Coil)

	I'm going to go pick up my 10kva pig tommorow, and I really need a crash
course in ballasting.  I've researched the subject long before I ever knew
I would have a pole pig, but even though I've searched the list archives
and the web pretty extensively about the subject, but it's hard to find the
info that pertains directly to me.
	I know that there is inductive ballasting and resistive ballasting, and
that a combination of both is usually known as the best method, but not
necessary.  Now, in resistive ballasting, I would hope that it's as simple
as Ohm's Law:  120v/1.44ohms = 83.3A.  That's 10kva.  But, 1.44 ohms is
next to none, and the extension cord that we use to run between the breaker
box and the transformer is probably more resistive than that.  I would
appreciate it if anyone could clarify this for me.
	I do not understand inductive ballasting at all though.  I have a small
portable arc welder that I could use.  I understand that I should short out
the secondary leads of the welder, so if I just set the welder on 80A, I
guess that means that the transformer only gets 80 amps max?  Furthermore,
I hear of people using space heaters and oven elements and all sorts of
stuff for ballasting.  How does their energy consumption correllate with
the amount of current available to the transformer?
	Anyway, I hope I haven't made myself sound too ignorant, but I am going to
make sure and know everything I need to know so I don't blow my arm off
and/or burn my house to the ground. :-)

	Thanks,
	   Ryan Ries