Re: Avalon, and Lockout for Safety

>Original poster: "David Sharpe" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>
>
>Chris, and Terry
>
>If a railroad right of way "siding" is in the area a used diesel locomotive
>could be used.  A typical GP40-2 has a 5MW alternator on it, and the
>dash 2 modular electronics means full control of output by three PCB's
>run on 48VDC.  What could we do with 600V 3ph at 5MW...

schnip

Actually, that's a good idea. I would feel comfortable running the Avalon
Coil off a GP40-2, knowing how they are built and the abuse they can
tolerate :)

We have several hundred feet of our own track in 3 sidings, including a pair
of trestles (small, but they're there). There is a spur up along the entire
length of each main building complex. The main line borders the back of the
property and is used daily for both freight and passenger service. AmTrack
highballs through every night. And the Frieght is a mixture of chem, auto,
and various junk. The freight's are known for their considerble length, with
a 15min wait as they tie the town in knots being on the low side of average.

A GP40-2 (or any od the mid to large Alco's, EMD,s etc...) would be great
for a large coil because you could not only move your alternator, you can
move just about anything you like :) Not to mention I could build a SRSG
mounted on the input shaft of the alternator and have PERFECT sync :)

I could use the power as Massive DC (the traction motors (I believe there
are 3 in a GP40) run on DC at 400A, most of the electrical systems run on
72VDC) for a huge DC coil.

The resistor banks (ever notice those louvers on a DE train up near the
snout?) could make enough resistive ballast (nothing inductive onboard,
sorry, we'd have to make it) for a massive coil.

It would not be to terribly difficult to make a LARGE coil (preferably a DC
Maggie) mounted on a gon or low-boy, powered by the locomotive, and easily
transportable anywhere in the world. It could travel flat, in a cradle, and
erected (with a built in crane) on site. We could do the Burning man on a
yearly basis :) And have a nice 700' long motor home :)

HEY PA I GOT THE BIGGEST TRAILER IN THE PARK! YEEEEE HAAAAAA

lol

If I'm gonna buy a locomotive, I'd much rather have a Shay, Heistler, or
perhaps a BIG-BOY (4-8-8-4). Too bad it's 2000, not 1900 :)

A steam powered Tesla Coil....hmmmmmmm...now there's a physics class......

I work too much.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group