Re: Well, I know what's wrong - My brand new NST fried!!

>Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>All may not be lost on the NST tho, I have it in the freezer and am going
>freeze it and then run  it for 20 minutes and depot the thing.

What brand is it? If it's tar you're doing it the hard way. If it's empxy it
won't matter. Take it out of the freezer. If it's tar and you go at it with
a hammer and the tar is frozen you'll be replacing hair thin wires for
hours....I've learned this the hard way.

>I also heard I could just put it in the oven and possibly melt the short IF
>it
>is in the tar. Trouble is, I don't remember how long or at what temperature
>cook it. Anyone know.

Yup, about 400F and it's a whole day affair. If you do it in the oven you'll
never eat anything from that oven again either. Like my dad in the mornings,
the smell kinda lingers for WEEKS! if you do it indoors.

Get an old electric griddle, set it on a couple cinderblicks, and fire it up
full blast for 2 hours, then knock it down to 400 or so. Place your NST
inside a couple of the Al-Foil baking pans (disposable and only a buck a
piece) and it goes a LOT better and doesn't stick so bad.

>If I go ahead and depot the thing I am hoping I can remove the shunts and
>get
>some more current out of it.

This will either be a cinsh or an exersize in self abuse and bleeding
knuckles, depending the the core. Not all of them have removeable
shunts....well, not without a grinder, chisel and jackhammer.

>Maybe depotting will help prevent lessen the chance of future frying.

Only if you repot it in oil or something similar. And that's ONLY if it's
carbon tracked. But 99% of the time that's the failure mode of my NST's (and
I kill a LOT of NSTs).....lol before I learned the joys of safety gaps I
killed 4 15/60's (the best you can get and REALLY hard to scrounge) in a
single day.

Stupid hurts...but ya learn quick when it's expensive as well.

Good luck!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group